Looking at Livan By the Numbers

Posted by Dave Nichols | Friday, May 21, 2010 | , , | 1 comments »

I don't normally just link to someone else's story without offering much commentary, but I'm going to today because:

  1. It's that good.
  2. I'm tired.
So if you're interested in exactly how Livan Hernandez has crafted his incredible start, go read the numbers and decide for yourself if it's a resurgance or incredible fluke.

I certainly have my opinion, but if you are a Nats fan, you should read it and make up your own.

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // May 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

    I think the answer is somewhere in between.

    One small part of the equation that may be overlooked: Livo's defense himself. Livo fields his position really well and may be fielding it better because of better fitness and a better knee.

    I also think the Nats are a better defensive fit for him than the Mets were and he benefits as much as anyone from that. He's also a sharp contrast to other pitchers guys see through the league.

    I don't think the bottom will completely fall out from Livo, but I do agree that this pace is unsustainable. I expect him to have an ERA of 4.50-5.00 going forward averaging maybe 5.2 innings per start. Where that averages for the season, I don't know. Even in 2005, the bottom fell out for Livo and we can't count on him for but so long. But Livo's a good fit because if he does struggle, we may have more reinforcements this time around.