Additional Quotes from Stephen Strasburg on his Debut

Posted by Dave Nichols | Wednesday, June 09, 2010 | , | 0 comments »

Post-game quotes provided by MLB Network:

On his emotions before first pitch:

I definitely wasn’t nervous. I just remember the adrenaline flowing at two o’clock. I was just really trying to calm down and really take things easy and just soak it all in. I was able to make adjustments and keep the team in the ballgame tonight.
On having command of four pitches:

I definitely know I’ve got it in me. I’ve just gotta focus on what I can control and not try to do too much with each of the pitches and just let it happen. I was able to do that tonight and obviously we scored some runs and it was a great win for the entire team here.
On his teammates:

They just kept telling me to soak it all in, good or bad – you only get one debut. … It was a tremendous experience, especially in front of a packed crowd like this.
On the dynamic with Nationals C Ivan Rodriguez:

We talked about it before the game and he’s got a tremendous understanding of obviously how to face these hitters. I’m new to this scene and I don’t really know what the hitters like and what they don’t like, so I was really trusting what he called. I was just trying to execute and try to pound his glove wherever he put it.
On his four-seam fastball:

More than anything my four-seamer just became more consistent. I was able to locate it a little bit better, I wasn’t falling off it as much so I was able to stay on line with it and really throw more first-pitch strikes later on. It’s a big advantage when you can go out there and throw strike one.
On Nationals manager Jim Riggleman & pitching coach Steve McCatty’s decision to keep Strasburg in the 7th inning:

They just asked how I was feeling and I was feeling great every single inning. I was very happy that they were able let me go out there one more time. As a pitcher and having this experience now, I wish I could go every single inning of every single game. It’s a blast.
On the postgame shaving cream pie:

[It stings] a little bit but it’s the greatest feeling in the world.

0 comments