In addition to tonight's starter RHP Yunesky Maya and LHP Ross Detwiler, the Washington Nationals activated RHP Joe Bisenius before the game with the New York Mets.

Bisenius' name hasn't been mentioned before in the list of potential September call-ups, yet here he is back in the big leagues. 

He pitched two games with the Philadelphia Phillies in 2007 before arm trouble and inconsistancy left him without a team and he was working out with his hometown Sioux City, IA independent league team, where Nats scouts found him and offered him a minor league contract on May 7.

In the dugout before tonight's game with the Mets, Bisenius spoke with reporters about getting the call.  "I was obviously really excited to get the news and come up here and show these guys what I can do."

When asked what he will bring to the Nationals bullpen, he said, "Hopefully an agressive approach -- go right at guys and be able to throw quality innings when needed."

Bisenius had arm trouble and fought his stuff in his time in the Phillies organization, but he said his injury problems are behind him and he's looking to make his name again in the big leagues.  "Health-wise I feel great right now."

He reportedly threw in the upper 90s, touching triple-digits, with the Phillies.  Reports from the Nats' minor league staff still have him in the mid-90s.

The 27-year old pitched at three different minor league levels for the Nationals this season.  Overall, he was 4-0 with one save and a 3.05 ERA in 34 games.  He has a 10.8 K/9 rate and a 2.88 K/BB rate in 38.1 innings this season.

"I didn't have a job for a little bit, I was looking for a team when [the Nats] came calling.  I was looking to get back to the big leagues.  If you're in the minor leagues and you don't think you can get back to the big  leagues you probably shouldn't be there."

As for being added to the 40-man roster, an indication that the Nats didn't want to lose him in the off-season due to his being a six-year minor leaguer, Bisenius said, "I'm just looking to take it day by day here and show the what I can do.  But yeah, I'd like to be back here next year.  I like this organization so far -- a lot."

The 6'4" righty was 1-0 at Syracuse with a 2.70 ERA in 14 games.

3 comments

  1. Souldrummer // September 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

    This is perhaps a death blow to Wilkamania for this year. I'm not sure where to turn. I'm in mourning. I'm in shock. I guess there's more loyalty to the vets.

    DFA Mench! Call Whiting! Call Wilkie! Call somebody I care about!

  2. bdrube // September 7, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

    @Souldrmmer - hard to argue with you but this is likely the reason:

    10.8 K/9 rate

    That's real good. The Nats may be looking at this guy for next year. I also gather they just don't view Wilkie as having MLB-quality stuff.

  3. Dave Nichols // September 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM  

    guys, i definitely think the Nats wanted to protect his status as a 6-year minor leaguer by putting him on the 40-man rather than leave him exposed. if his arm is healthy, and by all indication it is, he could be big help. P2K is better than P2C.