Really? Daniel Cabrera

Posted by Dave Nichols | Saturday, December 20, 2008 | , , | 1 comments »

All the other blogs have weighed in on this already, but since I spent most of my day in a car or at my folks house, I'm finally getting a chance to offer my opinion.

Having watched Daniel Cabrera his entire Orioles career, I feel that I am uniquely qualified to make the following statement. Read closely, I don't want anyone to misinterpret what I'm about to say:

Daniel Cabrera stinks.

And it's the worst kind of stink. It's the "I'm gonna throw an effortless complete game three hit shut out with 11 strikeouts, then go three weeks averaging four and two thirds with five walks and four earned runs" stink.

In five seasons with the Orioles, he's led the leagues in walk, wild pitches and hit batsmen. He's been suspended for headhunting. He finished last season on the disabled list. But here's the biggest reason to have avoided signing him:

THE ORIOLES DID NOT WANT HIM.

One of the few teams in the league who's pitching is as bad--or worse than the Nats and they let him walk without so much as a "see ya later".

And another thing: Any team feeling like Mark Teixeira is part of their equation has ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS SIGNING DANIEL CABRERA!

Who's running this operation? Oh, that's right.

1 comments

  1. Anonymous // December 21, 2008 at 1:55 PM  

    Not all the other blogs have weighed in, but when I do I will posit this as a reasonable chance. The man has significant upside that I think St. Claire can help him tap.