We're Not the Only Ones Saying It

Posted by Dave Nichols | Wednesday, January 28, 2009 | , , | 3 comments »

Fresh off the love-in that was NatsFest 2009, there's this article from Dugout Central stating, quite clearly, that Jim Bowden is baseball's worst GM. It's yet another independent opinion on the state of baseball in DC.

"Bowden has a poor track record in the draft, especially for an executive with a scouting background and who is behind the eight ball when it comes to using advanced statistical analysis. It is crucial for any GM, especially for a small-market team with scarce resources, to develop a sustainable long-term vision for their franchise. With Bowden, though, he is seemingly on a misguided mission to top the 70-win plateau every year, rather than doing what is necessary for his team to actually become a legitimate contender in the future.

The Nationals need a leader with patience and a solid business model. Rather than exploiting inefficiencies, though, Bowden creates inefficiencies for the elite GMs in the league to exploit."

But don't take my word for it. Click the link above and go read the whole thing. It's sad/hilarious all at once.

3 comments

  1. Unknown // January 29, 2009 at 11:39 AM  

    It is sad and frustrating to read these reports about how incompetent Bowden is and to know that nothing is going to happen to him because the owner's son likes him. I want the team to do well, but I worry that if it exceeds expectations this year that that will mean another year or more of Bowden.

  2. Dave Nichols // January 29, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

    John, I hear ya. it's incomprehensible how Bowden still has a job, and any success only means more security. how many GMs keep their jobs when his team gets worse 4 years in a row.

  3. Anonymous // February 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

    Wow, I'm glad I found this and I was hoping I was not the only one to think that Bowden really is bad. At the end of last season I promised myself that I would not attend any Nats games in 2009 if they signed Patterson and Dunn. The only thing Bowden knows how to do is sign ex-reds?